CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Springtime Tenants

A few weeks ago Cody noticed this underneath our deck:


I realize it's a little difficult to see but a Mama bird taking care of her babies does not allow the paparazzi to get very close for a picture!

We have had more fun watching these birds. You can see them from both the window and the sliding glass door in the basement. Owen and I checked on them numerous times throughout the day, pretty much everyday for weeks. He was so excited when the eggs finally hatched! At first it was hard to tell how many babies were in the nest but as they grew a little we were able to see 3 little ones. We watched as their mama brought them food and they sat with their little beaks wide open. We watched their little wings flutter as they moved about in their nest. Their was even a Daddy in the picture! Although, he would just sit on a branch on a nearby tree standing guard while the Mama bird did most of the work. I'm not trying to make any points with that, I'm just saying. ;)

We waited patiently and were looking forward to the day that we might get to watch the Mama teach them how to fly. When we thought they were getting close we checked on them constantly, camera at the ready just in case I might catch a shot or two. Then ONE day we were busy running errands and weren't able to check on them. We went down that afternoon to see them and they were gone. :( It was almost as anti-climactic as waiting for the president.

We were upset but I thought we would wait a few days and then take the nest down so Owen could get a close-up look at it. Being the procrastinator that I am, I just hadn't done it yet. Tuesday morning I went to open the door to let Murphy out and what do I see?! That's right, another Mama! I couldn't believe it! I thought back to the day the babies were gone and I saw a bird fly in and stand there looking at the nest for a minute. Then she flew away. I couldn't figure out what was going on but now I know it was just another Mama checking out the real estate! We are so excited that we get to watch it all over again. It's like our own little science lesson right in our backyard! Who knew that birds were recyclers?

0 comments: