CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Cameron Update

Last week, Early ACCESS returned to our home in the form of two lovely ladies--Jill, who was here the first time and who is now Owen's new best friend (she was enamored with him and he is still talking about her to this day), and Kathryn, the woman who will be working with Cameron. We sat down and went over all of Cameron's scores on the evaluation that Jill did at the end of April. This was really no small feat as the packet of information could have qualified as a short novel, in my humble opinion. I'll spare you the numbers and details and just give you the Reader's Digest version--Cameron is delayed. This much, I knew, so no real surprise there. The big question we had was where and how much. While he is only very slightly delayed in some areas, and even on track in a few, his biggest delay is in speech and communication. His next biggest delay was motor, but that was really expected because of his low-tone. So, we have decided that for now, we will just concentrate on the speech and hope that he catches up in the other areas on his own (with lots of encouragement from Mommy and Daddy, of course). Kathryn will come twice a month for now and work with him for about 45 minutes to an hour each time. She will also be working with me teaching me things I can do with him on a daily basis. I may even have to record data for her from time to time to give her a better idea on how he is progressing. She will also keep an eye on the other areas as well, just to make sure that he is moving along as he should be.

Cody and I both feel really good about this and are excited to get the ball rolling. As I've mentioned before I was worried that it might be something more than just a delay, but after speaking with them and watching Cameron, I am not nearly as concerned as I once was. In fact, he even made progress in between the time of the evaluation and the meeting! Jill was impressed to see that he was doing things that he hadn't been doing just a couple of weeks earlier. This is one of those things:


You see, while he's always been pretty good at imitating sounds, he's never seemed all that interested in imitating faces. I was making this face at him 2 weekends ago and he decided he'd like to get in on the fun! I haven't gotten him to do it since then but, in true Cameron fashion, I'm sure he'll do it again when he feels like it!

So that's the plan for now. I will sit down with the ladies in another six months and go over his progress and figure out what we will do from there. However, if at any time in the next six months I feel things are not going as they should, we can adjust things to fit. They seem really great and we are all in agreement that we want to do what works best for Cameron. As long as we are doing all we can to help him and seeing lots of this:

I will be a satisfied customer.

Stay tuned for pictures of some of the other things Cameron has learned in the last few weeks!




1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well thank the lord that its not the Swine Flu! The St. Louis vacation would've been cut short if that was the case. Maybe Cam is tired of watching the Cubs lose and needs to watch the Cardinals win. That will put a smile on his face...I have suprise, yes a SUprise not a SURprise for Cody when you arrive in June. Let's just say it will be a "Sea of Red".