CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Joe Gu

As I mentioned earlier, we made the trek (an otherwise short, 4-hour drive can only be called a trek when you take 2 whiny children and a dog that has to be tranquilized, and even then is still whinier than the children, along with you) to Bolingbrook last weekend. Our main reason for going, other than the usual frantic trips around the suburbs to visit various family members in the short amount of time allotted, was to attend a benefit for our good friend Joey who was badly injured in a car accident last October. Before his accident Joey played bass in a band called Bon Voyage, an AC/DC tribute band. The other members of the band, along with help from the Dickhead Choppers Organization, organized the entire event which ran from 2pm to 12am.

Cody and I were completely amazed by the entire thing. The amount of time and work they all put into the day was unbelieveable and it truly paid off. They had countless raffles and an auction, all with goods that were donated. On top of being an awesome bassist, Joey is also a very talented artist. So they had a silent auction of many of his pieces he had done in the past. I am sorry to say that we did not score one of those but I'm hoping that since we have an "in" we will someday own a JoeGu orginal! They had various bands playing throughout the day, along with all you could eat and drink. Cody and I just couldn't stop talking about how great everything was and how it far exceeded any expectations we had of it.

Joe's band was, of course, the last band to go on. Right before they took the stage they directed our attention to a TV they had perched on top of a speaker. Seconds later we were watching a video of Joey himself introducing his band. He wanted to be there so badly but he is concentrating on his rehab right now and wasn't able to make it. So this video was certainly the next best thing! I can safely say that you would be hard-pressed to find a dry eye in the house as we watched him. It was wonderful to be able to see him and hear him and he looked really great.

Bon Voyage rocked the house and the crowd went crazy with numerous chants of, "Joe Gu, Joe Gu!" which is Joey's nickname (a combo of his first and last name) among friends. My husband is still hoarse 3 days later from all the chanting! The night was full of inspiration and hope and we feel so blessed to have even been a small part of such a great thing. I only wish I had taken my camera with me and captured some of it on film.

My hope is that the next time I see Bon Voyage, Joey will playing right along with them. You can bet that I will definitely capture that moment on film. We love you, Joe! Keep on rockin'!

0 comments: