Well, we made it through our first week of Kindergarten! On the first day, he came home with a self-portrait:
I am told those are fingers.
When he got home on the first day, I asked him how lunch went since he planned to eat the cheese pizza there. I asked him if he got a lunch card and he said, "Yeah, Mommy, but it wasn't just any card. It was a Driver's License! It said 'Muhs, Owen' on it!"
On Thursday he got a stamp on his hand for being a Superstar Rester. I found this very ironic considering he hasn't napped for years nor can he really sit still and stop talking for long periods of time.
I asked him that night how things were going at recess and if he was playing with new friends. He said that he plays with Harlee and a new friend that she met named Brooke. I encouraged him to make some new friends, too, and he proceeded to tell me, "But, Mommy, I just want to play with Harlee because she is my best friend and I love her. And Brooke is a new friend so I played with her, too." "Ok," I said. "What do you, Brooke, and Harlee do at recess?" "Well, mostly the girls just drag me around."
On Friday, his teacher stopped me when I picked him up to tell me that he had both a meltdown and difficulty following multi-step directions. The latter was no surprise to us. He comes by that honestly, as his daddy is still that way as an adult. So we're working on listening carefully to directions and focusing on tasks.
The root of the meltdown was due to the fact that he didn't get his art project done in time for playtime. I'm happy to report that he did, in fact, finish it and finished it well. He was proudly wearing his work when I picked up him up:
They're goat horns, in case you're wondering.
He also went to PE on Friday and told us about some of the rules he learned. He was more than willing to demostrate one of the most important ones for us, which is "Watch where you're going."
Here he is not watching where he's going.
And, of course, we have to demonstrate the correct way to do it!
All in all, it was a pretty good first week. This morning as he was getting ready to go to school he said to me, "Kindergarten rocks!!! That means 'really awesome,' Mommy."

7 comments:
Love the self-portrait. Very Wolverine. :)
Who wrote that? :)
Love it! Thanks for sharing!
Goat horns, welcome to the dark side!!!
GARY!!!!
...Sarah, whatever it was, I didn't write it.
I was talking about the annonymous Wolverine comment. Not offended or anything, just curious who it was! I just deleted the one after it because it somehow got posted twice!
Post a Comment