Alternately Titled: The Day Mommy Was a Blubbering Mess
Last night, Owen set his alarm clock for 7am. This morning, I opened my eyes at 7:01am to find a cute 5-year-old at my bedside saying, "Mommy! We don't want to be late!!!" And thus began our foray into the school-age years.
After a quick breakfast and a change of clothes, we made our way outside to snap a few photos before it was time to leave.
With a thumbs up from our boy, we piled into our car with our neighbor friend, Harlee, and made our way the long 2 blocks to good 'ol TJ. (We don't walk because it's along a busy road with no sidewalk and I can't handle 2 kids and a stroller by myself!)
The two buddies posed for a photo together before heading to their classrooms. We found out Tuesday night that they purposely separated them because they were so attached to each other at Kindergarten Round-Up. We thought that was a little unnecessary, but I digress.
Owen and I dropped Harlee with her teacher and then made our way to his classroom, where I had to snap a few more photos.
I then proceeded to stand at the doorway like a complete idiot saying, "Bye, Owen! I love you!" more times than is necessary when telling your child goodbye. I could not walk out that door. At some point my sanity returned and somehow my legs carried me out. I then resisted every temptation to drive by the school at recess like a crazy stalker checking to see how he was doing.
Six months ago I told myself that I was ready for this day. I yearned for a little peace and quiet in my day and was excited about the next stage in Owen's life. But as the calendar approached August 25th, I started looking for that magical button that would instantly halt time. While I am still really excited for him to begin this new stage, there is still a large part of me that just isn't ready for it. I'll miss our late mornings, snuggling in bed together, our afternoon grocery shopping trips, our jammy days, the list could go on forever. I think what makes this transition so difficult for mothers, whether you're a stay-at-home mom or a 9-5 mom, is that it is essentially the end of the baby years. It's the beginning of them no longer having enough time to hug you or not thinking you are the funniest person in the world when you make those silly faces. Before you know it, "Mommy" gives way to "Mom" and hugs and kisses in public are no longer acceptable.
But I'm trying focus on the positive things ahead. The field trips I'll get to chaperon, the cookies (!!!) I'll get to make for class parties, the spring sings, and the lasting friendships ahead. I did, afterall, meet my 2 best friends when I was 8 and 12 and still talk to each of them at least once a week (although usually 3 or more!) and my children call them "Auntie." So maybe the school years aren't so bad.
As we pulled into the garage today, Owen said excitedly, "I can't wait to go back to Kindergarten tomorrow!!!" That makes the tears totally worth it.
As we pulled into the garage today, Owen said excitedly, "I can't wait to go back to Kindergarten tomorrow!!!" That makes the tears totally worth it.
5 comments:
Looks like the first day was a success! So proud of all of you!
Yeah Owen! It gets easier but there is still always a bit of a pang.
Maybe a tattoo to remember this day!!
LOL...luv grandpa Muhs comment! so appropriate! maybe just a pretend one at least??? :) love all the pics. Seems like he was loving every minute of it and you don't have much to worry about! Can't wait for those summers to come along and hear you say how you can't wait for school to start again!!! LOL.
What an eye opening blog you wrote here...letting go is so hard. Cailyn started preschool this year and I spent my lunch hour driving across town to pick her up from Staci's house so I could drop her off at preschool on the first day. As I walked slowly away knowing that I had to get back to work for my always pleasurable recess duty, big crocodile tears welled up as my little girl smiled, waved, and calmly said, "bye bye mommy!" and turned away to be with her class. *sigh* And so it begins!
Post a Comment