This is Evan deMello. He and his family are very good friends with my cousin Beth's friend, Melissa. He is four years old and was born with a heart problem. In June of this year he got his long-awaited new heart but, unfortunately, due to many complications he is still in the CICU in the hospital. His kidneys have stopped working and he spends all day lying in a bed with countless tubes hooked up to him. He has been close to death more times than any 4-year-old should ever be. I started reading his story on a blog that his family keeps to update friends and family about his condition. The faith and strength of both Evan and his parents has had a very lasting affect on me. I never thought I could learn so much about life and how much we should embrace it from a 4-year-old, especially one I've never even met. I know that many of you that read my blog have also been touched by Evan's story. The reason I am writing about him today is because today is Evan's 4th birthday. His family, friends, and organization that runs his website are trying very hard to raise money for the family. They have set a goal to try and raise $5,000 on his 4th birthday. The cost of a heart transplant exceeds $500,000, not to mention the cost of the many months he has been in the hospital. His parents are running out of time off from work and have had to take shifts staying with Evan at the hospital, which is 2 hours away from their home. I can't imagine leaving my son while he is fighting for his life and having to go back to work. So I'm asking you, in honor of Evan's birthday, visit his website, read about all he has endured and make a donation. It doesn't have to be much. Even $1 would help. Keep this family together in the most difficult time of their lives. And if for whatever reason you can't donate at this time, please keep them in your prayers. When you do stop by, be sure to sign his guestbook and let them know you're rooting for them.Tuesday, September 18, 2007
A Little Boy I've Never Met
This is Evan deMello. He and his family are very good friends with my cousin Beth's friend, Melissa. He is four years old and was born with a heart problem. In June of this year he got his long-awaited new heart but, unfortunately, due to many complications he is still in the CICU in the hospital. His kidneys have stopped working and he spends all day lying in a bed with countless tubes hooked up to him. He has been close to death more times than any 4-year-old should ever be. I started reading his story on a blog that his family keeps to update friends and family about his condition. The faith and strength of both Evan and his parents has had a very lasting affect on me. I never thought I could learn so much about life and how much we should embrace it from a 4-year-old, especially one I've never even met. I know that many of you that read my blog have also been touched by Evan's story. The reason I am writing about him today is because today is Evan's 4th birthday. His family, friends, and organization that runs his website are trying very hard to raise money for the family. They have set a goal to try and raise $5,000 on his 4th birthday. The cost of a heart transplant exceeds $500,000, not to mention the cost of the many months he has been in the hospital. His parents are running out of time off from work and have had to take shifts staying with Evan at the hospital, which is 2 hours away from their home. I can't imagine leaving my son while he is fighting for his life and having to go back to work. So I'm asking you, in honor of Evan's birthday, visit his website, read about all he has endured and make a donation. It doesn't have to be much. Even $1 would help. Keep this family together in the most difficult time of their lives. And if for whatever reason you can't donate at this time, please keep them in your prayers. When you do stop by, be sure to sign his guestbook and let them know you're rooting for them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Your entry made me cry. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that long post to share Evan with others. I sometimes wonder why God has brought him this far if in fact soon he will take him away from us. I now know the answer. He has changed everyone's life that his story has come in contact with. He has brought people closer to God, family, and made people want to be better. What an amazing purpose to be chosen to do. Thanks so much Sarah. -Melissa
I was a day late, but made another donation. I would be devastated to leave my baby in the hopsital and return to work, not to mention being two hours away. This 4-year old that I've never met has reminded me that family and friends are what matter most!!
Post a Comment