Cody says that I should write a book with this title because I am always spouting off things I learned on the Oprah Show. Hey, you can find out all about Julia Roberts' twins, get Jen and Vince's marriage rumors cleared up, hear whether Barack Obama will run for president, and see what shape your poop should be all from one show! Now that's a TV show I can get on board with! Well, today is no different than any other day in that I learned a little wisdom from my gal Oprah that seemed so fitting for me in the past few days and I'd like to pass it on. I was watching an episode yesterday that I recorded on my fancy new DVR that Cody got me for Christmas (really, people, this is truly how TV was meant to be watched) and people were asking her questions. Someone asked her what the greatest advice she'd ever received from Maya Angelou was. She said that Maya once told her that in the middle of a crisis she should stop and say thank you because no matter how bad it was at that moment, there was no doubt going to be something better on the other side of it to be thankful for. I started crying (I know, a little cliche but what the hell, I was moved) and had one of those moments that people go on the Oprah show and talk about. You know, someone goes on saying that they were laying on the couch one day feeling horrible and then something she said was like she was speaking to them and their whole outlook changed...I always thought, "Oh, that didn't really happen that way." Well, yesterday it did happen to me. I was on the couch feeling horrible and I heard what she said and I cried and stopped to pray and I thanked God. Because even though I felt horrible at that moment, I knew that things could only go up from there. This isn't to say that I still haven't felt bad since then but at least I now I have in my head that eventually there will be some good on the other side of all this bad. And that's something to look forward to. Thanks, Oprah!
Okay, and now on to some pictures, which I know many of you have been waiting for. In honor of the big Bears win yesterday I decided to post some Bears pictures. The first one is of my two boys in their Bears jerseys. This was over New Year's while we were at Cody's mom's house.

And then we went to a New Year's Eve party and you'll never guess who showed up....That's right, legendary Bears coach Mike Ditka!

Okay, so it's really just Billy O'Brien who shaved his beard specifically for this reason and then dressed up like Ditka. But you gotta admit he "bears" a striking resemblence. haha. Go Bears!!!!!
9 comments:
haha. too cute! your boys look adorable in their jerseys! And... I'm so glad you heard that on Oprah's show. That really is some wonderful advice and there truly is going to be something good come out of all of this. After all, had things been different for me a year ago, I wouldn't have little Cade! Love you, and stay strong. I truly admire your strength through all of this.
Love,
Beth
Bethy, I really think my strength through all of this came from watching you go through the same thing with so much strength. Even though you're my baby sister and you always will be, I always learn so much from you. Maybe that's another something good that came from you going through all of that. I love you!
Wow, how wonderful. Funny you mentioned that. Ryan is always telling me about how I think Oprah is the "written word". We'll, in some instances she is. Yes, she is a talk show host, but she is also humanatarian. Recently opening that school in Africa for all of those young underpriveleged girls was amazing. All of her shows where people go out and do amazing acts for other people because an Oprah show moved them to do so, maybe she is next in line for Mother Teresa's position. (Maybe not that extreme) but I do also agree with you. Oprah is an amazing woman and I'm glad for those few words of encouragement. Whenever I'm feeling low (I can't compare to anything your going through) I always remind myself that there is someone who has got it a million times worse. That makes me "wake up" and be thankful for what I do have instead of what I don't. Hope you continue on the road to healing. My thoughts and prayers are with you!
Sarah,
I hope you have received our card by now. (Sorry it took so long) Or if you haven't it's on it's way... I promise. I'll NEVER be using that site again. Anyway, you have made me tear up with this. You and Beth both. You are both such a wonderful example of how handling a situation like this is not easy, but you have both done so with so much courage and strength that I could only hope that if faced with something like that myself I could handle it half as well as either of you. It truly makes a person realize, all of us that have healthy children, what a miracle they really are. And I thank God every day for that, as I'm sure you do for little Owen. And hopefully soon, like Oprah said :-) there will be much more to be happy about again!
Oh, Meg, now you made me cry! It's like our own little Oprah show right here! haha. Thank you so much for all the nice things you said. You're so right, a healthy child is so much to be thankful for--also something I never realized until I became a parent myself. I couldn't find my strength in all of this if I didn't have to wake up every morning and be a good mom to that little guy. He needs me, and I find strength in that.
And yes, we did get your card. I think it came on Friday. Thank you so much! We have been so overwhelmed by all the love and support we have received in the last week. Good friends and family is another thing that helps me get through all this. It's times like these where you realize just how blessed you are in life. Thanks again!
Oh my goodness girls! the words are starting to get blury b/c of the tears in my eyes! Love you all and am so glad we are all there to support each other. What would we do without our girlfriends!
Isn't it funny that all this mushiness, crying, and talk about Oprah is on a post that has a picture of Cody and a guy trying to look like Mike Ditka? haha!
Wow, I going to have to stop reading this at work, I'm sitting at my desk crying and trying to hide it from everyone! I love you all and you all are truly wonderful
I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that the last comment was from Jess and not Matt! LOL
And A.G., Ryan only gives you those smart ass comments because he wishes he were as smart and rich as Oprah. LOL We love you, Ry! :)
Post a Comment