Tuesday, March 22, 2011
The Floor is Open
I've been thinking about what kinds of things I'm going to highlight in my different posts about Cameron and autism and it just occurred to me tonight....is there anything that you would like me to talk about? Whether it be about Cameron specifically or autism in general, is there anything you'd like to know? I've had friends ask me questions before, after much deliberation as to whether they should because they were worried they might upset me, or thought it was a stupid question. I assure you, there is no question concerning autism and/or Cameron that I am not happy to talk about, nor do I think there is any such thing as a stupid question. So, if there's something you'd like answered or discussed, please feel free to post it in the comments section of this post. You can even do it anonymously if you feel the need, but I hope you proudly attach your name to it! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just typed up a very long response and blogger ate it. LOL
Okay...I'll go first. What is Cameron's overall temperament?
My cousin has a son (age 16) who is a mid-range functioning Aspie. His exact diagnosis is PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder) which falls under the Autism umbrella. He is a very sweet, lovable kid. He has his moments of frustration, but overall he is very happy. This is my only personal experience with Autism.
On the flipside, I've seen many documentaries/shows on TLC or Discovery Health (my only point of reference) that portray Autistic children as very angry, aggressive, and destructive. They've shown children literally tearing homes apart.
Obviously, Cameron is still little and can't take his bed apart, but does he show any signs of aggression? Do you see this with other children at therapy? Do other moms that you talk to have this problem? OR are the tv networks portraying the worst of the worst?
Anytime someone mentions or I read about Autism, the aggression and destruction are the first things that come to my mind. What special characteristics *should* be coming to my mind?
Off the topic of aggression, is Cameron using an iPad during his therapy and as a form of communication? I just learned about this a few weeks ago. I have a friend whose son has RTS. He is completely non-verbal. He is learning to use the iPad as a form of communication. Last week he "said" his first complete sentence using the iPad. I thought it was really neat.
Thank you, Sarah, for opening your life and your heart to your readers. I think it is important to talk about this so people aren't walking around completely uninformed.
~Tricia
Tricia, thank you so much for your comment/questions! You have a lot of good ones! This is exactly what I was hoping to get. I will be sure to address them in some of my posts this month!
Does Cam relate/react differently to you, Cody, Owen, docs, therapists, friends, and strangers?
Are you able to travel and visit others..hint, hint, hint. :) Or would you be able to leave him with asomeone for a get-away weekend?
Post a Comment