CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Worthy Cause

As many of you already know, a friend of mine from Murphysboro's 2 year old son is battling cancer.  His name is Cole and he was diagnosed with Retinoblastoma in April.  He had to have one eye removed and has been doing rounds of chemo.  I have been following the family's journey through a blog that his mom writes and have been so inspired by the strength of everyone in their family.  It is amazing how much fight children have in them, as well as how much strength a parent somehow musters up when faced with such a serious illness attacking their child.  I am truly in awe of all of them.

When I saw what another one of my friends from college is doing, I just felt compelled to share it with all of you.  My friend, Bill, who is training to be a Chicago Fire Fighter, will be participating in St. Baldrick's on September 25th.  St. Baldrick's is the world's largest volunteer-driven fundraising event for childhood cancer research.  Thousands of volunteers shave their heads as a show of support and unity for children fighting cancer.  In turn, they ask for donations to fund childhood cancer research.  Bill, along with his Chicago Fire Department Academy class, will be shaving his head.  I will be donating in honor of Cole.  If you can, I urge you to visit Bill's donation site and donate to such a worthy cause.  They have nearly reached 50% of their goal, help them get to 100%!

I am happy to report that Cole is nearing the end of his journey with chemo and will hopefully be cancer free when he is done.  Yay for Cole!  Please keep him and his family in your prayers, along with all the many other children who are suffering in the world.  Now go hug your own babies!

2 comments:

The Harris Family said...

Sarah - Thank you so much for your continued support and prayers for Cole. The St. Baldrick's Foundation is a wonderful organization. So glad your friend Bill is involved in this fight against childhood cancer.

Carmen said...

This brought tears to my eyes. {{{hugs}}} and thanks to you for spreading the word about this wonderful cause.