Today started off with a bang in our house. Not only is it Daddy's birthday, Owen had his first day of preschool this morning! Daddy decided since it was such a big day for us he would take the whole day off. We are so glad that we get to spend this special day with him!
We woke Owen up around 7:30am, an early morning in our house. He ate his breakfast, got dressed and stopped to pose for a few pictures showcasing his backpack before we headed outside.
We went outside to wait for the neighbor girl who is riding along with us to get to our house. She and Owen are the same age and we are so excited to be able to share the preschool experience with her and her family. I got a few more shots of my boys while we waited.
Once we loaded up, Daddy hung back with the little guy while I took the kids to preschool. Drop-off was uneventful, as expected. I came home and enjoyed a little peace and quiet for a couple of hours. We decided that we would both go and bring Cameron along for the pick-up. This was not exactly the shining experience we had hoped it might be. Ok, let's be honest, we knew it would be this way but I didn't realize how much it would affect me.
When we got there, the kids were outside playing on the playground. Owen has difficulty leaving a fun situation, which is why we knew we'd have a hard time with the pick-up. He didn't want to leave and proceeded to throw a fit. Not his best moment. We held firm and tried to make him understand that he needed to leave but we would be back. He continued his fit, which included slamming a door in the face of one of the directors there. Just what every mother wants to experience on the first day of Preschool. I was so thankful that Cody was there because he was able to get Cameron and the neighbor girl to the car while I dealt with Owen.
Not only was it embarrassing for me as a parent, it was much more emotional than I thought it would be. I was suddenly consumed with thoughts of, "How in the world am I ever going to get these three children in and out of the car twice a day, 3 times a week?" Right behind those thoughts were, "My child is going to be the uncontrollable child of the class and I am going to look like the worst parent in the world."
Owen continued his tantrum until we got home, where we had a good talk and I am hoping that things go better on Wednesday when we are navigating these waters on our own. If there is anyone else who has been in this boat, suggestions for making this go more smoothly are greatly appreciated. As are bottles of wine.
We're off to spend the rest of the day celebrating Daddy's birthday. I don't know exactly what the day has in store for us but I'm guessing there will be at least one geocache in there somewhere. As long as it ends with minimal tears, I don't care what we do today. So, happy birthday, Daddy! Thank you for being the best Daddy and husband a family could ever ask for. And please, consider a job where you work from home so you can do Pre-school Pick-up.




6 comments:
How about a swift kick in the ass? That always works! What...you didn't expect me to say that? Seriously...just explain to him there is always tomorrow and he can go home and teach Cam what he learned at school today. That will make him the big brother who teaches his younger bro...I know he understands that.
The first time is always the hardest as I'm sure you know. Surely he will adjust and get to where he knows and understands what is going to happen. Hang in there...it can't get any worse...can it? :) love you and praying for you :)
and love all the adorable pics by the way!!! Quite the big boy!
Cade loves Owie's packcack! And happy birthday to Uncle Cody!!
Well, at least he liked preschool. He could have been screaming he didn't want to go in. I know a little boy that didn't want to leave his mommy to go to Kindergarten. But I wouldn't want to be telling stories on Uncle Josh. ;-) But Uncle Josh does have the right idea about telling Owen he needs to go home to teach Cam what he learned. Good Luck!
Happy Birthday, Cody!
What a big boy. Philip just said "That's Owen my friend!" :) Hopefully it will get easier for you!
Post a Comment