CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 10, 2009

The (Not So) Big One

As you may recall, Cody and Owen have been fishing a few times this summer. I can't remember exactly how many times they've been out, but they have been pretty unsuccessful in their attempts at actually hooking a fish. Leave it to my husband to research something in order to improve his chances. He asked friends with fishing experience and even went online and did some researching. In this week of research, he discovered that he had been using the wrong kind of bait. (And maybe even some other tips as well that went in one ear and out the other when he told me about them. Bait is the only one I can remember right now because, you know, I've got bigger fish to fry. Pun intended.) So, armed with his new bait and other tips as well as a bit of determination and just plain excitement, they set out once again to catch a fish. And lo and behold:



Owen caught one on his first try! It's the only one they've caught all summer and was about the size of my big toe, but they caught one!



I really wish I could have been there to see Cody take it off the hook but someone had to stay home and make good use of the air conditioning we pay so much money for. And I figure, might as well be me!

Before heading out, they went on a little nature hike, another one of their favorite things to do this summer. We've tried it as a family but it's just not really Cameron's thing just yet.



So hopefully next summer there'll be another cutie on the bench next to Owen! But for now, you'll just have to settle for pics of the big guys.



He's a little more hairy than the cutie I was referring to above, but he's still cute nonetheless. ;)

2 comments:

Matt and Jess said...

That is a nice crappie ya got there Owen, but your suppose to hold him by the mouth.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...sorry guys thats a bluegill not a crappie. I gave Cody all the "know-how" when you guys were here in June. Did he use mealworms as bait? I can see we need to plan a fishing trip this fall. We will have to wait until it gets a little cooler...there will be about a 2-week time frame the crappie will be biting great at Kinkaid. We could even go to good ol' Lake Chatauqua. I got's the skills anywhere we go...we will take the boat out and have even more fun. O-Diggity will like that!