CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

A Cold Day in July

Grandma Lynn came to celebrate the 4th of July with us this year. Newton has a parade every year, with activities following the parade on the Square downtown. It was pretty rainy and gloomy that morning when we woke up so I decided to hang back with Cameron during the parade because I didn't feel like chasing a newly-walking toddler in the rain. So off to the parade went Daddy, Grandma, and Owen. About 10 minutes later Cody returned for blankets. Yes, you read that correctly. They needed blankets. In July. While I had noticed that it was rainy and gloomy, I didn't stick my head out the door to see that it was 63 degrees! And I had sent my baby boy out in shorts and a t-shirt.

Of course, when Daddy is heading up the activity, he rolls a little differently than Mom. I would have brought Owen back and put him in warmer clothes, or at the very least taken warmer clothes to change him into when I went back for blankets. Alas, a Dad can't be bothered with such details and could not spare the 5 minutes it would have taken to get the extra clothes for Owen. Thus, the slightly blue tint in his lips.



Shivers and all, they seemed to enjoy the parade and Owen ended up with about the same amount of candy he gets on Halloween. All of which will take him at least a year to eat, and most of it will go in the trash. The good thing was that they took the time to head back when it was over to change into warmer clothes. Cam and I got suited up in our jeans and jackets and headed back out with them.

There wasn't a whole lot to do on the square but the "Smiley Face Train," which is at nearly every Newton event, was there. Owen has asked to ride this train at every local event for the last couple of years. We usually try to distract him from it because the line is SO long. But there was no distracting him this year. So wait in the line, we did.






And he throughly enjoyed it. Meanwhile, Cam stayed warm, happy, and well-fed in his stroller.





The only catch to this is that you have to keep the stroller moving at all times. So while Owen and I waited in line, Dad and Cameron strolled around the Square.

Next it was off to a small games section where you could buy tickets, play some silly games, and win even sillier, useless prizes. Owen did a "Go Fish" game, a game just like Bozo's "Grand Prize" game (where they finally had to just give him the prize because he couldn't hit that bucket to save his life.), and my personal fave, petting a rabbit.



Why is this my fave? Because you get close-up interaction with an animal and you don't have to bring home a useless prize that will eventually end up in the trash.

After all that fun we decided to head over and get some overpriced fair food. Owen and I split some of his new favorite food--nachos.



And while we ate we watched some polka/square dancers (I'm really not sure of their official title) break it down. They were about 12 women to about 4 men so Owen decided he would autioned for them.


Alas, no one stopped to sign him up. I kept trying to get Cody to join their ranks but he balked at the idea of tight, white polyester pants and red checked shirts. I still have no idea why.

Soon after, we headed out and had a relaxing afternoon at home. And wouldn't you know, the next day was nice and warm again! Daddy, Grandma, and Owen got out and enjoyed a little nature, while Cameron and I stayed home and enjoyed the glory that is air conditioning.

Of course, no 4th would be complete without a few fireworks. Our town did them on Sunday night this year (don't ask why) so while Daddy put Cameron to bed, Owen and I threw on our jackets, grabbed a blanket and some snacks and headed out to see some fireworks! We found a great spot to throw our blanket down and we had a rare Mommy/Owen night that we both thoroughly enjoyed.



The fireworks show was great and the company was even better. Maybe next year Daddy and Cameron will get to join us!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great fourth of July--loved the dancing! Grandma Debbie

Joe and Melissa said...

Oh my, Sarah, I do believe that you have the next Lord of the Dance on your hands! Maybe you could dress him up as a Riverdancer for Halloween this year? :-) Just a thought. . . Very cute!

Anonymous said...

Dam...that boy can dance! He's got skills to pay the bills, he reminds me of myself when I was younger. I still like to cut a rug and break it down, I will have to show him a few moves.

Anonymous said...

Wow. And here I thought Iowa was dull.