CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 29, 2009

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

While we were on vacation in St. Louis we were finally able to check out the new Busch Stadium. I almost didn't go because I was afraid to leave Cameron since he wasn't in the best of moods, but I'm so glad Grandma insisted I go! The stadium was awesome! I was a little upset when I heard they were building a new one because I hate change and I am sentimental with everything...even baseball fields. But this park really won me over! It has an old-time feel with all the modern conveniences, including escalators! I hated when we had high seats at the old stadium and had to walk up all those ramps!

Since Steve Glodo was running the show, we made it to the stadium pretty early and had plenty of time to check things out before the game started. We stopped for a few photos outside:










Owen and Stan the Man


Being that this was Owen's first MLB game, I wasn't sure how he would do so I thought I should bring plenty of ammunition to fight boredom. I thought a backpack would be easiest to carry around but forgot to bring one. Fortunately, Maddy came to my rescue:


That's right, I rocked the Hannah Montana!



Third Base Entrance


All around the stadium there are plaques like these:




They were designed by one of my friends from college, Gabe Drueke, who is also from Southern Illinois. I had heard all about them but I was so excited to be able to see them firsthand! I was so impressed with what a great job he did!


Maddy had a gift card to Build-A-Bear and they happened to have one inside the stadium. So she took advantage of the situation and made her own Fred Bird.
The funny thing about this is that if the real Fred Bird comes within 100 feet of her she is consumed with fear and will not go anywhere near him.


We had great seats along the third baseline and took a little time to hang out by the dugout before the game to watch batting practice and possibly score some autographs. Unfortunately, we had no luck with the autographs but Owen still enjoyed himself.



One of my favorite things about the new stadium is how open it feels. You can see right into it from the street and inside, you have an awesome view of the city:





We were even lucky enough to find ourselves on the jumbo-tron:



Yes, that's me taking a picture of myself on the jumbo-tron. I was actually trying to get a picture of Owen and Cody on there because the guy got a great close-up of them, but I was too late and got myself instead!


Alas, the Cards couldn't pull out a win for us but a great time was still certainly had by all! And Maddy and Owen were just happy they got to spend a little time with their Grandpa.



2 comments:

Gaye Youngman said...

What a trooper Cody was to muster up a smile among all you Cardinal Fans in your Cardinal gear! Or was that because the Cards lost? ;)

Matt and Jess said...

Cody it must have been nice to go to a stadium that doesn't have concrete falling on you. Oh ya and watch a team that has actually won in the last hundred years.
P.S. Owen Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!