CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tulip Time

Unfortunately, I just haven't been in much of a blogging mood lately which explains the lengthy absence. However, after a kick in the ass from Jasmine to get some pictures up, I am back! And what better way to come back than with some pictures of Tulip Time in Pella last weekend. For those of you unfamiliar with Tulip Time, it is truly a sight to see. Pella is a very Dutch town and Tulip Time is a very Dutch celebration. It is unlike any other town festival I have ever seen. Although it is a town of only about 10,000--very close-knit--nearly 200,000 people show up at Tulip Time each year. There are 2 parades a day--one daytime and one nighttime--a real excitement for a girl who's mother has coordinated a parade as far back as she can remember! The food is a mix of typical fair food and some Dutch delicacies that I don't even think I could spell but are very yummy! There is even a cheese bartering re-enactment about how the used to buy and sell large amounts of cheese in the early days. How crazy is that?! It all really just can't even be explained with words. You have to experience it to appreciate it. Since you weren't there to experience it, here are a few pictures from the Muhs family experience, which include Grandma Lynn for her 4th Tulip Time visit!


The street scrubbers. It was an old tradition to scrub the streets so there are tons of people, big and little, that get out and do it before each parade. They have so much fun with it.

The little street scrubbers practicing before the actual event. Aren't they so cute?!

Here's Owen in the section they had for kids with all the games getting a lollipop from the tree.
And here he is in the jumping Jungle Gym which he thoroughly enjoyed!


Taking a break on Daddy's shoulders.
While Lynn and I shopped the outdoor crafts market, Daddy and Owen played in an awesome park. Owen loved every minute of it and was quite dirty when we left!



Alas, I never got a picture of him with his grandma! Maybe next time. We all had a great time despite the windy, overcast weather and can't wait for next year's Tulip Time!

0 comments: