No one hates a sick infant/toddler/preschooler more than I do. Especially when the media is scaring everyone so much. But I'm still so hesitant to vaccinate my kids against both the regular seasonal flu, as well as the H1N1. I know I vaccinated both of them last year but I'm just not sure I want to this year. I keep hearing so many convincing arguments on either side of the spectrum and it's just making it harder to decide what to do. I know that they have removed Thimerasol from most of them and those that still have it, it is supposedly a trace amount. But from things I've read, Thimerasol is not the only concern here. There are many other additives that I'm just not sure I want to be pumping into my small children.
I am not trying to say that I don't think vaccines are necessary. I really believe that they have helped eradicate many deadly childhood diseases. However, when does it become too much? I worry that if we keep vaccinating for every disease, we are not allowing our bodies to build up proper immunities to things. I also worry that we are just putting too many things into the tiny little bodies of these kids at one time. My boys are current on all their required vaccinations, even though I am still not 100% confident with the decision I made to do so. I still worry that they will be affected by all the vaccines they've had at such a young age at some point in their lives.
My purpose for this post, though, is not necessarily to discuss the pros/cons of all vaccines, but more to discuss the pros/cons of the flu vaccines. As I said before, I've heard convincing arguments from both sides of the spectrum. My problem is that I just don't know who to believe! I can read something against the vaccines on the internet and immediately tell myself that there is no way that I will allow my children to be vaccinated. Then I talk to our pediatrician or to another person whom I feel is well-educated and I respect, and I am convinced that they should get the vaccine. While I have talked to our pediatrician about the seasonal flu vaccine in the past, I've not brought my concerns up to her this season because I'm still waiting to here what the American Academy of Pediatrics has to say about it all. Given my past discussions with her though, I have a feeling that she will say it is safe for them to take, though she won't push me to do so. I still respect her and think she is a very good doctor for us, so I'm not intersted in changing. In fact, why would I think that I should change doctors? For all I know, she could be completely correct in her belief that the vaccines are safe for them. Which brings me back to my whole point, how do I know who is right?
I realize none of you are doctors, but I do know that many of you are parents with the same concerns I have. So I'm curious, what will you be doing this season? Will you be getting both flu vaccines? Will you be give them both to your child(ren)? Why or why not? I'm asking you to weigh in on this issue for me! Even if you've never commented here before or you think I already know where you stand or you're not a parent of a small child, weigh in! I'm very interested to see what everyone thinks about this and your comments might help someone else who is struggling with this decision as much as I am!
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Sarah, I have all the same thoughts and concerns that you do. There is so much information out there and it is really hard to know what to believe.
I believe that most vaccines are a necessary part of life. However, I don't know that I agree with the current vaxing schedule and the combination shots.
Ethan has received all the recommended vaccines thus far and on schedule---for the most part. He had a terrible reaction to his first set of shots, so we spread them apart over a few weeks time and he has done well since then.
I still have much mommy guilt though. In my gut, I feel like that is just too many chemicals at a time for such a tiny little person. I'm honestly a little afraid to say anything to my pediatrician about delaying vaccines because I don't want her to think I'm some freak who doesn't care about my child's well-being. Do I really think she would treat me or my son differently if we chose to do that? Probably not. She is very down-to-earth and respectful of my thoughts and opinions. However, I don't want my son's file "labeled" as having one of "those" moms.
The upcoming MMR shot is really stressing me out. I'm still not convinced that it doesn't cause autism. I also don't believe that the chicken pox vaccine is necessary and we won't be getting that one. It isn't typically a life-threatening illness and just one of those childhood rights-of-passage.
Anyway, I guess I'm getting a little off topic here. As far as the H1N1 and the seasonal flu shots go, this decision is fairly easy for me. We will not be getting the H1N1. It is too new for me. I don't care if they make it the same as the seasonal flu shot or not. I want to know the long-term effects with solid proof and that just isn't possible. Even my pediatrician said she couldn't give me her opinion one way or another because the research hasn't been completed. When I told her that we wouldn't be getting it, she said that she "off the record" feels the same way.
We will be getting the regular seasonal flu shot, but it will be the additive free one. The downside to that...we have to go to the health department to get it. Our insurance covers the flu shot so we should be able to get it at the pediatrician's office. The pediatrician informed me that she has the additive free vaccine but she is only allowed to give it to the welfare/medicaid patients. How crazy is that?
Anyway, I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. It is a personal decision between you and your husband and what you feel is best for your family. Since I stay at home with Ethan and he doesn't go to daycare and he isn't exposed to siblings who go to school, I think his risk of H1N1 is limited. Would I feel diffently if he went to daycare or school? I honestly don't know.
I know I've just rambled here, but I hope this helps a little. I wish you peace with whatever decision you make.
~Tricia
I understand your concerns! There is so much info being jammed down our throats by the media...it really is quite scary. I totally am like you and go both ways!
All my kids have had their shots on schedule...except for cranky days and a few fevers here or there...we haven't had any bad reactions yet(knock on wood).
To be honest my kids have gotten the flu shot every other year. And the years that we have not gotten the shot....man was it bad. Dominic has had some really bad flus. And all three got hit super hard last year (Matt was the only one who got the flu shot last year). With 2 of the three kids in school and 2 different playgroups for me & Philip- I really think we are getting both shots. If there is a chance I can help alleviate some of the major sickness we've had in the past - I have to do it. For my kids sake and my sanity. :)
Unfortunately, my pediatrician's office didn't get their shipment for the seasonal flu yet and now my kids all have major colds. So hopefully once they clear up I'll get them vaccinated.
Hi Sarah-
I could probably talk to you about this at length but maybe we can do that through email. I am by no means a doctor but I feel that I have the ability to understand and decipher science because of my degree and career.
Have you researched any info on Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the man who started the Autism/Vaccine Phenomenon?
I couldn't find your email. Mine is kandh22@charter.net.
I love how you blogged about this topic!!!
WOW...You have entirely too much time on your hands! Don't get the shots...just for the simple fact that I said not to. Am I a doctor? No...do we all read the same info that the doctors do? Yes...they're making an educated guess just like you and I. How many times have you known how to make you kid better or know what they need and the doctor tells you something different? The best answer they always give is...you will just have to ride it out. So you tell me this...two hours wasted, $25 co-pay and back home to what you already knew, was it worth it?
I agree, I don't have to make the deside yet because Logan is not 6 months but that being said, If I did have to deside I would sit down with my doctor and talk about it, I can read until I have all the information but I'm still not an MD. We should all educate ourselves on any medication that our kids are going to take but in the end I want to know why my MD is saying to take it, is it because of liability issuses, if they say do not take a drug that is FDA approved is that taking on a HUGE liability? I hope my MD could answer the questions have your kids taken it? and if not I would be looking for a new MD
I
An MD or DO or DC is a lot like us; they have to interpret the results of tests too. Some are saying yes; some are saying no. My Ped recommends it; my primary care says no and they have the same education.
The flu vaccine is a yearly vaccine because the virus changes. They take a CHANCE EVERY year that they have the correct virus that will actually come to America.
And even though your child does not get "sick" right away from a vaccine doesn't mean that it isn't doing harm. Our numbers of Autism and ADHD, along with other neurological diseases, are drastically on the rise in the USA. Our children are doing poorly in school and can't concentrate. These vaccines can cause harm long-term.
Remember, the companies who make and sell vaccines are in the business of making money.
I have never had the flu shot and I will not vaccinate Corin. I understand that all of us can get ill with or without the vaccine; but it would not be detrimental to my family for me to take time off from work to be with her (which is usually why people get vaccinated for the regular flu anyway). And while I agree that the thought of death scares the crap out of me, it doesn't scare me into vaccinating which is what I believe is happening to most families.
And for what it's worth, we have delayed some vaccines and as of right now, we have decided as a family NO MORE for our little girl.
Thanks for all the input, ladies! I'm still undecided on the subject but you've all given me a lot to think about! Heather, I haven't read about the doctor so I will have to do some googling. I was planning on email you to hear your take on the subject but didn't want to bombard you with stuff while Cole was in the hospital! Thanks again!
Post a Comment