CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Taking Comfort

Nearly every kid has them--those little things they turn to when they need to feel comforted.  I was attached to my pacifier for so long that I actually remember when I got rid of it.  I went to a local store and "traded" it in for a Bert and Ernie watch.  The memory of handing over my "puggy," as I called it, to the store owner is still so vivid in my mind.  I actually thought I was buying that watch with it.  And I still have the watch!   I have heard so many stories similar to mine--being so attached to something as a child and having a difficult time parting with it.

Owen never had a blankie and only took a pacifier for about a month, at the most.  I think his attachment came in the form of his sippy cup filled with milk.  He could be at the end of his rope, offer him some milk, and he was a happy kid again.  And, of course, he still has his music that he listens to in bed at night.

And then we have Cameron, whom I've starting calling my "Little Linus."



I bought him this blanket last year when we were vacationing in Lake of the Ozarks.  He has such an obsession with all things microfiber and he just LOVES his blankie.  I actually had to go out and buy 2 more just in case something happened to it!  So now we have them all over the house and he is elated when he sees one.  He grabs it and walks around the house with it like this:




He has yet to really ask for it or really want it when it's not in sight, but I have a feeling that time will eventually come.

Then, a few weeks ago, Owen pulled a little Mickey Mouse out of the pile of stuffed animals in Cameron's room.  Cameron saw it and instantly took to it.  Now, whenever he sees it, his face lights up, he runs for it, and he doesn't let it go.




Yes, we've had a few times where Mickey had to join him at meal times.  He, along with the treasured blankie, are also fixtures in the crib at night.  I'm really hoping these will help him feel a little better and more "at home" if/when we do finally decide to travel with him again.  Hey, a girl can wish, right?

4 comments:

The Farleys said...

Oh! I just love it! That blanket looks so snugly!

Anonymous said...

A man needs his blanket...the obsession never goes away. Ask Angie and Madison...I have about five myself!

Mama Muhs said...

Yeah, I almost mentioned you in the post but I didn't want you to get mad at me for calling you out. ;) Where you been? You haven't called in at least a week!

Gaye Youngman said...

Ah, yes, we all remember, no we all KNOW how Uncle Josh IS about his blankie! ;-) Whatever helps to relieve the stress of the day! For me .... it's a little chocolate and an ice cold coke!