So last Saturday, after Owen and I were pulled from our slumber at the crack of dawn (well, to us, anyway), he was very tired and crabby by 12:30pm. So I decided that I would put him down for his nap but that I better do it in the computer room across the hall since his room is right above all the garage-making noise. So we set up the Pack 'N Play and Owen says, "Go nigh-night?" It's 10 to 1, which is much earlier than he normally naps but I figured hey, he asked, what the heck. So I put him in, head downstairs and then go outside to take some pictures of the progress and chat with Cody. At 1:10pm I come back inside and out pops a little being from the living room and says, "Oh, hi buddy!" The little booger climbed out of the Pack 'N Play, walked down the stairs all by himself, and played in the living for probably a good ten minutes while I was out snapping and chatting away! I was absolutely baffled. Never did I think this day would come when he would figure out that he could climb out on his own. So, after picking my mouth up from the floor and calling some friends to tell them my story I decided I'd have to try it again because there was no way I was getting through the entire day sans nap. I took him up and put him in again and then stood outside the door while he repeated his escape tactics 2 more times. Finally he got the hint that Mommy wasn't having it and he went to sleep. For a blessed 3 and a half hours, I might add.
So, I'm bummed but I figure, it's just the Pack 'N Play and how often do we really use the thing anyway? Yeah, you see where I'm going with this. Monday morning I'm lying in bed as I hear Owen wake up. I sat there for a while not wanting to get up until I suddenly hear a toy that I know was not in his crib. So I run up the stairs and open the door to find him playing in his room. He climbed out of the crib!!! Now, this I really did not believe he would figure out. I pray the entire day that he'll go down for his nap and go to bed that night without bailing out and thankfully, he does. So, I think okay, maybe it was just a small little phase and now it's over. Yeah, yeah, please stop laughing at me.
Yesterday I put him down for his nap and all is quiet. I'm revelling in the fact that he's sleeping and I can relax until, from the corner of my eye, I see him walking down the stairs! Seriously, I was listening to the monitor the entire time and didn't hear ANYTHING! I at least have to give the kid props for being a fantastic escape artist. He does it without any grunts or loud falls to the floor!
So now we are at a loss and don't know what to do. I did some reading on-line last night and some of the stuff said that just because they are climbing out of the crib doesn't necessarily mean they are ready to have a big bed. They have to have the cognitive development to understand that even though they can get out of a big bed they shouldn't. And I just don't think he's quite there yet. We are now at least shutting his door completely so that he can't open it and get down the stairs. We discussed a gate at the top of the stairs (which we bought a year ago but never put up) but fear he will try to climb that too. I am on pins and needles everytime I put him to bed and listen intently to see if he has gotten out. I just don't know what to do. Do I bite the bullet and move him to a bigger bed? Do I lower the crib rail so he at least won't get hurt when he climbs out? Do I buy a crib tent that goes over the top so he can't climb out? Do I rely solely on prayer and good faith that he'll stop or at least won't get hurt? Do I put him in a straight jacket and chains and time him so that one day he might become the next Houdini? Any suggestions are appreciated!
Wednesday, June 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I would opt for the straight jacket and chains -- "Baby Houdini" could have a future in Vegas!
Post a Comment